Urjit Patel – New Governor of Reserve Bank of India
Urjit Patel, the present Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India has been announced as successor of Raghuram Rajan. Urjit Patel will take charge on September 4 after Raghuram Rajan demits office.
The appointments committee of the cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Dr Urjit R Patel as Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for a period of three years w.e.f. from 04.9.2016.
About Dr. Urjit Patel
- 52 year old Urjit Patel is presently serving as Deputy Governor of RBI
- Doctorate in Economics from Yale University in 1990
- M.Phil from Oxford in 1986
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the London School of Economics
- Worked with International Monetary Fund between 1990 to 1995
- Consultant to the Government of India in the Ministry of Finance, Department of Economic Affairs from 1998 to 2001
- Worked with several High Level Committees including Task Force on Direct Taxes, Prime Minister’s Task Force on Infrastructure.
- Known as inflation worrier of Raghuram Rajan
- Was head of panel for recommending changes in monetary policy