As a banker, almost all of you have heard about the JAIIB and CAIIB Examination related to banking profession. However, there are a lot of benefits of passing these two examinations if you are a banker. In this blog, we are going to discuss in detail about the pros of having the JAIIB and CAIIB qualifications from the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF). It is often perceived by young bankers as another burden even after securing a job amidst stiff competition. But it is not so especially in the recent scenario of banking where specialization is very much required to handle emerging challenges.
What are JAIIB and CAIIB?
JAIIB refers to the Junior Associate of Indian Institute of Banking and Finance whereas CAIIB refers to the Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Banking and Finance. Both the examinations are conducted by the Indian Institute of Banking and Finance for the members of the organization every year.
JAIIB and CAIIB: Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The JAIIB Examination is open to the members of the institute and any person working in banking and finance sector can apply for the membership of IIBF on life term basis. There are basically three subjects in this examination:
- Principles and Practices of Banking
- Accounting and Finance for Bankers
- Legal and Regulatory Aspects of Banking
The examination consists of Multiple Choice Questions and there will be questions based on case study also. There are 120 questions in each paper of this examination with 100 marks allotted to each paper. The duration of each paper is two hours. The questions are mainly based on the following topics:
- Banking knowledge
- Application of banking knowledge
- Analytical skills or logical reasoning skills
- The decision-making and problem-solving capacity of an individual
- Important banking concepts
The CAIIB Examination is open to the members of the IIBF only. It is an advanced level of qualification and can be taken only after passing the JAIIB Examination. It also consists of three papers:
- Advanced Bank Management
- Bank Financial Management
- One subject out of 11 elective subjects such as Corporate Banking / Rural Banking / Central Banking / Treasury Banking etc.
The full list of elective subjects can be accessed from here.
The CAIIB Examination consists of 100 questions in each of the papers for which 100 marks are allotted. The duration of each paper is two hours in this examination.
How can you pass JAIIB and CAIIB Exams?
[Check our free e-learning course for JAIIB]
In order to pass in the JAIIB and CAIIB Exams, one needs to score at least 50 out of 100 in each paper. If a candidate scores 45 marks in one subject in any of these exams but the aggregate marks are 50% in a single attempt, a candidate will be declared as qualified in the JAIIB and CAIIB Exams. Candidates will be able to retain their credits within a single block of attempt if they have cleared individual papers within that block.
Why should you take JAIIB and CAIIB Exams?
For the JAIIB and CAIIB Exams, you need to study a lot and also it happens that once you are in a regular job, it becomes very difficult to remain self-motivated while studying for anything more. But, these exams can open the doors of myriad of opportunities in front of you. Especially for young bankers, these exams will be very helpful for further career progression.
The benefits of passing the JAIIB and CAIIB Exams can be divided into following:
- Monetary Benefits
- Non-monetary benefits
This is most important incentive that you will get once you qualify in JAIIB and CAIIB Examinations. According to the agreed procedure followed by IBA, the monetary benefits for passing these exams are as follows:
- If you are working as a clerk in a bank, you will receive one increment if you qualify in the JAIIB Examination whereas upon passing the CAIIB Examination, you will receive two increments in the present pay scale in which you are working
- If you are working as an officer with a nationalized bank, you will be entitled to one increment each upon passing the JAIIB and CAIIB exams conducted by the IIBF
Apart from the monetary benefits, there are several non-monetary benefits attached to the JAIIB and CAIIB qualifications:
- You get knowledge about banking: Once you go through the syllabi of JAIIB and CAIIB, you will be able to have in-depth knowledge about banking activities in India along with the technical aspects of banking.
- You will have an edge in promotion: If you have the JAIIB and CAIIB qualifications, it becomes easier for you to get promotions since some weightage is given to these qualifications in the promotional interview.
- You may get plum postings: Since you get technical knowledge by passing JAIIB and CAIIB Exams, you may get posting in departments such as treasury, foreign exchange, government business etc.
- Being able to perform duties more effectively: It is already explained that you get in-depth knowledge by passing the JAIIB and CAIIB examinations. Hence, you will be able to apply this knowledge in discharging your duties in everyday banking.
JAIIB and CAIIB Exams will offer you unmatched opportunities to grow in the banking sector. You will get both knowledge as well as money by passing these exams. It is a complete win-win situation for a banker to go for JAIIB and CAIIB Exams.